Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 14, 2011. Hammond to Bogalusa, LA. 56 miles

We were still dragging this morning from yesterday's long day--it took 30 miles to warm up my legs! When I talked to other riders they said the same thing. This day was tougher than it should have been. We started by leaving the way we came in, that is, many turns and a couple of busy roads. I saw this sign for the Cowboy Church early in the day. I have not seen a Cowboy Church sign since leaving Texas. We encountered lush green rolling hills today. When we crossed the Mississippi River the terrain changed from flatlands and bayous to verdant farmland. There were a lot of trucks on some of our roads today, but we had our share of quiet country two lane roads as well.
I don't know how the Uneedas Superdome got its name, but it brought a smile to my face.

Near the end of the ride we had a long bridge with no shoulder, but there was no traffic, so it was not a safety issue. You can see that there really is NO shoulder on these bridges. There were a number of close encounters with dogs today. I don't get why people think it's OK to let their dogs run out into the road and terrorize passing cyclists.

We got to our hotel early, about 12:30. The only nearby place to eat lunch was at the gas station across the highway from where we are staying. My family will never believe that I ate lunch at a gas station, but there it is. I ordered the fried shrimp because the boiled shrimp and crawfish had heads and legs and all, and I did not want to deal with that. Carol cooked dinner tonight, and the spaghetti, salad, and pesto bread were superb. Eat to ride and ride to eat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the meals were the best thing about the day - but where in the world but Louisiana could you get shrimp at a gas station?