Thursday, October 11, 2018

October 11, 2018. Long Beach Island to The Wildwoods, NJ.

We'd planned to ride today... it started raining while we were eating breakfast, and showed no sign of letting up. We drove all the way to Cape May in the rain.


We stopped by the ferry dock to reserve our spots for tomorrow morning. Then we went to the Cape May Lighthouse, constructed in 1859 and still operational. The rain stopped while we were there.


There is a museum and a visitors center on the site. I walked out on the beach to see the "Bunker", the remnants of a fortification system from World War II. There is also a tower nearby that was used to locate and identify enemy ships during that war.


The lighthouse was open, so I took the 198 stairs to the top. It was very windy up there! I took photos of the surrounding area including our truck and trailer in the parking lot far below me.



By the time I came down from the top the clouds had started to dissipate so I took more photos of the lighthouse. I also bought a Cape May lighthouse Christmas ornament.


We went to the motel then, and checked in and arranged parking for the trailer. This is a 1950s era motel and there was 50s music playing on outdoor speakers. We ate our lunch outside on the pool deck. 


Doris, Fred, Diana, Dennis and Tom went in Fred's car to see downtown Cape May. Bill took a rest and Dianne and I walked to the nearby Wildwoods beach.



We walked down the boardwalk and saw the sights. This Wildwoods sign overlooks the beach. Dianne, who is 6 feet tall, is standing to the right of the W to give some perspective. It's a big sign!


Dianne and I played some Scrabble on the pool deck while listening to 1950s music until it was time to go to dinner. We met the others at the Lobster House and had a wonderful meal. After we ordered our drinks the group surprised me with a USA cycling jersey listing all the states!  And then Bill knocked me over with a cycling 50 pendant with a diamond in it. He admitted to the group that this is the first time he ever bought jewelry for a woman without her having some input into it. I know that this is a true statement!


After dinner we came back to the motel and sat out on the pool deck and had a glass of wine. Here I am in all my finery--50 state jersey and 50 state cycling pendant.  What a wonderful surprise! We have decided that we are riding the Delaware shore tomorrow rain or shine--and that will be my 50th state.



1 comment:

Connie B said...

Hi- We are the couple who came over to talk with you at breakfast one morning- (we were cycling the Erie Canal) . I just wanted to say congratulations on your 50 States, and also to tell you what an inspiration you are to me! Good luck on you future adventures!
Cheers,
Connie and Mike Bontje
Ontario, Canada