Tuesday, September 2, 2008

If it's not one thing, it's two...

Well, here is the health issues update that no one wanted to hear... I am going to get my knee with the torn meniscus fixed October 10. Do I want to? No, but I will, mainly because I want to be able to run again. I can do everything else that I want to do. Last night I read a triathlon magazine that came while I was on the bike trip, and I REALLY want to get back into triathlon next year; can't do that unless I get my knee fixed this fall.

Last Tuesday while out riding my bike in the Metroparks, I had another episode of tachycardia, more serious this time... It started around 9:30 AM--200 BPM without even working hard on the bike. I got off my bike at 10:15, and at noon my heartrate was still in the 170s. After lunch I headed down to the cardiologist's office and when I arrived there at 1:00 I was still racing at over 160 BPM. They put an EKG on me right away and found what they had been looking for with the treadmill test last month. I am suffering from supra ventricular tachycardia. While that is worrisome, it is not as serious as ventricular tachycardia, which can drop you in a minute.

I started on a beta blocker the same day, and I do not like it! It makes me slow and fat! I have already gained 4 pounds and my energy level is much reduced. I was of the mind to stop taking it, but decided to wait until my bike ride today. Well, I found out today that the stuff works! I averaged 18 MPH on the bike from the park to the restaurant (13 miles), and my heart rate was right where it's supposed to be. So I guess I'll keep taking it until they can fix the problem.

Fixing the problem involves an outpatient procedure that is billed as low risk and 99% successful. Today I spoke with 3 people who had relatives who had this done and they all were instantly cured. Do I want to have a catheter threaded up through an artery into my heart to deliver an electrical impulse? No, but I will, because I sure don't want to remain on medicine forever. Especially medicine that makes me fat and tired! (Why can't it make me thin and energetic?). No time line yet on when this procedure will be scheduled. One step at a time...

On a more cheerful note, I am going back to the swimming coach this week! Yay!

No comments: