Thursday, September 18, 2008

Off to the next adventure...

We are leaving momentarily... driving to Pittsburgh today, getting on the bikes tomorrow morning. Here is our itinerary: Day 1 Pittsburgh to Ohiopyle, PA 56 miles. Day 2 Ohiopyle, PA to Frostburg, MD 58 miles. Day 3 Frostburg to Hancock, MD 76 miles. Day 4 Hancock, MD to Harper's Ferry, WV 63 miles. Day 5 Harper's Ferry WV to Bethesda, MD 58 miles. Mind you, this is all on the new Rail Trail! (read: gravel path).

I have not looked at a map or called a hotel! Others made all the arrangements and I am sort of going along for the ride.... I will pay my way (after I stop at an ATM on the way out!) and ride my bike. It is a great escape for sure, especially considering that we will be off the road and out of traffic for the entire ride! I will post from libraries along the way if and when I can find them.

If I ever decide to do another coast to coast biking adventure, perhaps I will do it on the rail trails--the section we are doing will eventually be part of the coast to coast rail trail system. Rails to Trails Conservancy http://www.railstotrails.org/ is spearheading this massive trail system. If you've never ridden a rail trail, perhaps it is time to start! You can find trails here: http://www.traillink.com/.

No comments: