Monday, August 3, 2009

July 27, Genoa, WI to Lansing, IA. 17 miles.

We had a 5:20 AM wakeup call, classical music that I did not recognize, which is odd in itself since I am a fan of that genre, but a nice way to wake up. Breakfast was in the park: sausage, bacon, eggs, toast, coffee. We were all ready to load and go when Rex heard on his radio that a barge was locking through. We were held up an hour and a half, which turned out to be a good thing! Mary Jo, our Rumble fitness expert, led us in an impromptu Pilates class which really loosened up the muscles after yesterday's long paddle.


We locked through without any problems, but alas, I packed my camera. No photos. We had a strong headwind today--not easy to paddle against that...We saw many bald eagles, including one who seemed to be posing for us in the slough. I did not have my camera, but should be able to get the photos from those who were more prepared... they promised to send them! (If you are reading this you know who you are). This is a serene ride--tall bluffs and exposed rock faces, hills off in the distance, and little development along the river. The small towns are few and far between, nestled below the bluffs.


When we got to Lansing it was knee deep mud at the landing! What a mess! There was a storm coming in so I rushed over and set up the tent in record time while Bill helped others land. The rain came and went, but was not serious. So far the weather has been super! We walked downtown for supper, and ate with Clark, Barry, Jan, and Mary Jo. We had a great time, and I found out that Jan hunts every year in Wyoming where I am going next week--he is going to send me some tips for surviving in the high wilderness. He told some scary stories about wolves and buffalo...

No comments: