Thursday, March 4, 2010

Curacao, March 4, 2010

Last night we had cocktails on the balcony of the hotel's penthouse suite! Not sure how it all happened but Kate and Jeannine got moved out of their room into the suite... What a view! We stayed there so long that instead of going out to dinner I returned to my room and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and put solution in my ear. Doesn't that sound like a perfect vacation evening? The thing about dinner is that it takes 2 hours. Two very enjoyable hours, usually outside in the open air, but two hours none the less.


This morning I took a photo of the sunrise for a change, from the front of Hemingway's restaurant where our buffet breakfast is set up every morning. We were on the bus at 7:30 to go to the Boathouse and get aboard the Jonalisa. We motored out to Klein Curacoa Island, about an hour and a half. The boat dropped people off about a mile from the island but I decided not to swim in from that distance. I think I made a good choice because several very good swimmers told us how difficult the current was, and one person opted out after starting. We could see from the boat that they were making slow headway... I waited until the boat tied off to a buoy closer to shore and swam in from there. I walked around the island and took photos until lunchtime.



There is an old lighthouse and a couple of shipwrecks on the island, and remnants of homes and businesses. It is pretty much a wasteland of lava rocks, very arid, very beautiful. We all swam back to the boat for lunch prepared by the crew. There was grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, filet mignon, and ribs. Several salads, rice, peanut sauce and bread. Quite a feast!


Later some people who are braver than I dove off the boat. We all had a great time, and the wind came up enough to sail part of the way back. We had the company of a group of dolphins for a while on the way back--what a treat! And what a wonderful day on Curacao.


No comments: