Saturday, March 6, 2010

Curacao, March 6, 2010


When we got back from biking yesterday, we did an open water swim and then took our group photo in team shirts. A good time was had by all.


We had cocktails on Andy and Irene's balcony, where I took these photos of the sunset and Kenneth the iguana. I did not have the camera in my hand when he ate bread out of Mike's hand!


Several of us walked down the beach to Mambo's where it was "fishmarket night". Andy gave us a discourse on beer making in general and Duvel beer specifically--not only the recipe and the process but how and why it was started (Trappist monks!). We went up to the fish bar and ordered our supper from the fish you see in the picture, and the nice young man (who spoke every language he was greeted with while we waited our turn!) hacked off a piece of fish the size we wanted, his comrades grilled it over an open fire, and it was served with salads, slaw and rice. What great food we have had on this trip!




Today we had our last pool workout, then I showered and ate breakfast and got a taxi to the pharmacy. The itch from the bites from evil little critters on land and in sea is making me crazy! And I haven't been able to hear out of my right ear for a couple of days--too much swimming I guess. So the 3 mile round trip taxi ride cost me $20! I was appalled! But I got ear drops and cortisone cream. I avoided this afternoon's open water swim. I plan to swim tomorrow morning and hope the ear does not give me trouble on the flight home tomorrow.

We disassembled and put our bikes back into their boxes in preparation for flying them home--always a bittersweet moment. I got to see the videos of my swimming in the pool earlier in the week and today--looks good! And I sure felt faster today then I did last week.... Our time here is almost at an end.

No comments: