Thursday, April 29, 2010

Final days in Florida

The day after the race was supposed to be a rest day, but it was just too nice out to sit around doing nothing.... Dianne and I decided to take a short easy bike ride, so we rode to Tarpon Springs for a last grouper sandwich (my favorite Florida lunch). It was windy, but since we were in no hurry it was not as painful as riding in the wind during the race. It was a 20 mile round trip, all at an easy pace. We had a nice lunch and headed back for showers, then Scrabble, then dinner in and Scrabble until we could no longer see straight.




Tuesday morning we went to the pool with the Scrabble game, planning to swim and then play, but the pool was occupied with the synchronized swim team (this place really has everything) so we played Scrabble for a couple of hours and then Dianne took me to the tennis courts to try my hand at that--it was great fun!

When we got back we booked a ride on the shuttle from SeaTac Airport to Anacortes, WA, which saves us EACH almost $100 when compared to taking a cab from the airport. Our plans for this year are thus: Ride our bikes from Anacortes, WA to Fargo, ND mid June to Mid July. Then Bill and I will be kayaking on the Mississippi River the first week in August, and sailing the great lakes for 2 weeks after that. I meet up with Dianne again in mid September in Eugene, OR to ride our bikes from there to San Francisco, where we will meet her son and see the sights. Then we are going to Yosemite Park for a couple of days before we head home, me to MI and she to FL.


She tallied up our point spread (over 1000 points this time!) and bought me lunch on the way to the airport (at a penny a point that was a pretty nice lunch). I had an uneventful flight, and it's good to be home. Let me tell you: retirement is not for sissies!

No comments: