Monday, March 21, 2011

What was I thinking?????

While getting ready for a long bike ride (1500 miles from San Antonio,TX to St. Augustine, FL next month) I decided to run a half marathon.... Well, the route went RIGHT past my house, first time event, a fund raiser for Cystic Fibrosis. I did not want to sit here and wave at all the runners as they went by, so I signed up for it and did some training in the past 2 months, but not nearly enough...The race was yesterday. I did the half marathon (13.1 miles) and my daughter-in-law Vicki did the 5 K (3.1 miles) her very first race! We were all geeked up when Bill dropped us off at Grosse Ile High School at 7 AM. My race started at 7:30 and I asked Bill to pick me up around 10:15, figuring it would take me until 10:00 to run it. Actually I did not run it, it was more like a slow jog... I started with a 10-minute mile; the next 8 miles were around 11 minutes each, and then I slowed down a bit more after mile 10, which coincidentally was the distance of my longest training run. Bill put a sign on the mailbox to encourage me in my latest endeavor, and I had staged some sports drink in the mailbox. Bill, son Lucas, and granddaughter Sydney were all out by the road to cheer me on and take photos when I stopped for my drink. The home stop was about 7.5 miles into the race. If I look kind of beat, I guess I deserve to look that way... I finished at 10:00, as I expected, and Bill picked me up (Luke had already picked Vicki up after her race was done). I rested the rest of the day, soaked in the tub and read the Sunday paper (not at the same time).I just finished packing up my bike for shipment to Texas. I skipped swimming this morning (could not get out of bed). I am flying to Texas next Wednesday (March 30) and will meet up with the rest of the bike tour on March 31. They have been riding since the beginning of March, when they started in San Diego. It will be fun to be out on the road on my bike again, in 70 and 80 degree weather (unlike here). I already packed the Scrabble game and Dianne is bringing the timer and dictionary. Life is good!

No comments: