Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January 30, 2012. Waikiki Beach, HI.

We are staying at the Waikiki Circle Hotel, which was built in the 1960s when it stood alone on this block. It is clean and comfortable and we can see the beach from our balcony on the 11th floor.Now that Waikiki Beach is so built up, it looks small. It is the short round one in the middle of the photo below.



We walked around town today, and Dianne kept after me to take a surfing lesson--she has been talking about it since we arrived on Hawaii on January 20! I finally gave in and we walked across the street to one of the surfing lesson tents and signed up.

Our instructor was Mike, and he was 40ish, which was OK with us. I did not want to take lessons from a 17-year old! He was quite patient with us and said that even though we paid for a one hour lesson we would stay out there until we both stood up on our boards.


The waves were pretty mild, not like the 10 foot waves on the north shore of this island! I got up on the second try. My form was not the greatest--I guess I should have tried this when I was young!




Dianne took longer to get upright, bashing her face on the board in the process. The instructor kept yelling at her: GET UP. LET GO and GET UP! Loud enough that she heard him.... finally she let go of the board and surfed. We were out there an hour and a half. We may try it again later in the week if we have time. Now that we had a lesson we can rent a board for $10 per hour.





There are bike rental places here but I don't think we're going to get one. If we do there are plenty of places to lock them up! These ingenious bike racks are everywhere.


Bill and I drank a toast to his 50th state! He told me when we first met that he had been to 49 states. Now he can cross it off his "bucket list" if he has one....


No comments: