Sunday, March 24, 2013

Michigan Winter Marches on

I came home from Florida and the first bike ride here was on a cold Saturday morning. Fred and I had a bet--he bet me a cup of coffee that there would still be ice fisherman in the Marina... I should have known better. Needless to say I bought him a cup of coffee when we stopped for breakfast.


The bike you see me holding is my old bike--my normal bike had not yet arrived from Florida and I was getting pretty worried. FedEx finally called me a week after it was due and said that they had a black box with no shipping or routing tags, so they opened it up and found my card inside.... My name and number are all over the outside! Why would they not try that number first???? Oh well, it finally came and all is well. I tie down everything inside the box, and it was still that way when I finally got it.

Today was the Out Run CF half marathon (13.1 miles), which runs right past my house. I trained for it, and thought I was ready. It was 28 degrees with a sharp north wind when we started out at 8 AM. When I finished 2 hours and 25 minutes later it was 30 degrees and the wind had not diminished a bit--translation: it was a cold run! Alison, Francis and the kids were at their corner (one mile into the run) to cheer me on, just like last year. And Bill was waiting for me by our mailbox (about 7 miles into the run) and took my photo coming and going (so the Go Linda Go sign would be in the photo).




I finished second in my age group. It helped that I was a year older--I was in a different age group! But my total time was indeed 10 minutes faster than last year's race. I can live with that.

Now it's time to get ready to head to Florida again, this time with the 2 oldest grandchildren. This will be a real adventure! Actually, life is an adventure...

No comments: