Monday, July 8, 2013

Good News and Bad News

There is good news and bad news today. On the plus side: I have a new splint that is more easily removed for exercising my hand and showering. Yay! Below is Eileen, who made the customized splint above as well as the swimming splint. She is fitting up the swimming splint in the photo, and after that step was completed she added hot pink velcro straps!

I met with my new Physical Therapist, Nick, and now comes the bad news.  I still cannot wrap my fingers around the handlebars of a bike. It's OK to continue riding the trainer bike on the aerobars, and when my fingers can bend I can gradually move to the handlebars while still on the trainer. He said the small finger may never fully recover from this injury.

OK, more good news: I can try paddling the kayak with this new splint (the blue one, not the swimming splint). I am anxious to get out and do that, since the Great River Rumble is less than 3 weeks away! I plan to call my paddling pals and arrange a kayak trip down the Detroit River this week.

More bad news (or maybe this is good news?): I have to do many hand exercises, most of them 10 times a day! That ought to make a differnce!

More good news: we sailed down into Lake Erie yesterday, and while I was not much help on the boat it was good to be out there. This was the inaugural voyage for the new sails and they worked great! Now it is officially summer.


2 comments:

Teri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teri said...

Didn't know how to edit the comment to correct spelling, so I deleted it...that is the only reason!!!
Anyway, what I had said was "good news...bad news" can be disheartening. At least some good news is that you are on the mend and your right hand was not hurt. Thanks for keeping us updated. Hugs my friend.