Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 31, 2014. Back on the tour.


Bill drove me to Leamington so I could finish the bike tour around Lake Erie. Everyone welcomed me back warmly. Bill helped me carry my stuff up to my third floor room (no elevator) where Dianne had already claimed the adult sized bed. I guess that's fair since she got here first and she's bigger than I am. Now I can sleep with my bike, something Bill frequently accuses me of!


After all my stuff was in the room Dianne and I went down to an outdoor table in the shade and played Scrabble and drank wine until it was time to go to dinner.  We crossed the road at our special "senior crossing", the first one I have ever seen.


Following dinner Carolyn sang a song welcoming me back to the tour, and then did a rap about biking until she's 102. I am not allowed to mention the other things she plans to do until then! A great time was had by all. 
 

 
Michelle brought out the Woman Tour jerseys, hats, etc. that were available for purchase and Lorna modelled hers for us--they are very nice jerseys, but since I already bought my "TV Sucks" jersey and the "Girls Gone Cycle" one in Erie, I passed. Lorna performed an interactive song about Joe (who has a wife and 3 kids and works in the button factory) that had us all laughing again. This group has turned out to be a lot of fun!
 

One of the highlights of yesterday's very long ride was the life size statue of Jumbo, the famous Barnum and Bailey Circus elephant who died at St. Thomas Ontario in 1885 when an unscheduled Grand Trunk train suddenly appeared out of the fog, striking Jumbo and Tom Thumb. Jumbo was killed by the collision and is memorialized in bronze. Thank you Ellen, for sending me this photo!

 

No comments: