Monday, September 12, 2016

September 12, 2016

We had intended to leave for Kingston Ontario the first weekend in September and instead Bill had knee surgery that Friday. The doctor cleaned up the torn menisci, showed us the photos and sent him home. Here we are 10 days later and he's still walking slowly but we expect full recovery.

The kids started school right after Labor Day. Sydney is in kindergarten this year.


Delia is in first grade, Adam in fourth and Zane in preschool.


We biked to Monroe to celebrate Tom and Jim's recovery from being hit by a car a year ago. Bill drove down to meet us. Here are Paul, Jim, Bill, me and Tom.


The last thing on Alison's summer bucket list was to do a triathlon. So we did! It was Delia's first multisport race. Her she is getting her body markings on Saturday afternoon.


Delia as in the 6 and under division. There was one child who was only one year old! Her parents helped her a lot. Delia motivated by herself, but we all agreed she could have done the race for the 7 to 10 year old group.


Delia finished and got her medal. Then Sunday morning we were back at the park for the adults' race. Alison and I signed up for the Sprint distance: 500 meter swim, 16 KM bike and 5 K run. That was quite enough since she had not done a triathlon in 10 years, I had not done one in 5 years, and we barely trained!

Bill took our photos crossing the finish line. I was a couple of minutes ahead of Alison. She was seconds ahead of me on the swim, I was way ahead of her on the bike, and she almost caught up on the run. This was the slowest 5 K I have ever run. I guess that's what I get for not training enough. Oh well, at least I did not walk it!



Alison placed second in her age group.

I was first (and only) in my age group. As a man told Alison when checking his standings: the secret to placing is aging!


Thus we finished our three-generational triathlon. What a cool thing to do!

No comments: