Friday, August 17, 2018

August 17, 2018. In Colorado.

This morning when I got on the bike I thought I probably should have taken a rest day. But I kept to the plan and rode over to Marshall Mesa to meet Germaine for a ride. When I got there we decided to go up into the mountains in the truck instead of biking to Eldoarado Springs.

We drove up Boulder Canyon, passing an old mine (there are many in this area, remnants of the Gold Rush of 1858-1861). We passed the small town of Nederland and continued up the mountain.



We were looking for a particular trail, but found the Sourdough Trail first, and decided to give it a try. That was perhaps not such a good idea. This was the roughest trail we have encountered so far!




We did not ride very far before we knew we were outclassed. We turned around and rode back to the dirt road and took a short ride on the road. We both decided that we should have taken a rest day today.


The ride back down the canyon was beautiful. I would never get tired of this landscape. We stopped for a moment to take a photo of the Barker Dam and reservoir. Unlike the Boulder reservoir this one does not allow boating, swimming or fishing.


Our next stop on our way down Boulder Canyon was at Boulder Falls. We hiked up along the creek to see the falls.



  

We came back to Kathy's house for lunch. Germaine went to have ice cream with her in-laws, Eileen is with her friend that lives near here. Patti Ellen is repainting a wall art piece for Kathy and I spent the afternoon reading my book. I guess I really needed a day off.


Patti Ellen finished the painting and R hung it on the wall outside.


We had a feast of home made pizza and salad with 10 people around the table-- Brenda and Roman from Alabama, and Germaine and Ty.



Our gracious hosts R and Kathy, Eileen (right) and her friend Anna, Patti Ellen (shown above with her artwork) and me.



After dinner R built a fire in a cage and we sat around the fire and sang songs while Eileen played the guitar and R played the harmonica.

No comments: