Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8, 2018. In Colorado.

I had the alarm set for 4 AM, and it's a good thing I did! I arrived at DTW a little after 5 AM for my 7:01 flight, and waited in several long lines before finally heading toward my gate. Always good to be early!

I arrived at Denver Airport about 8:30 AM (2 hour time change) and my cousin Kathy picked me up and drove me to her home in Superior, a little north of Boulder. She showed me her little guest house and the bike that was available for me to ride. It's a full suspension mountain bike--we are in the mountains after all!

After we spent a little time on her computer looking for bike trails, we walked to a nearby bike shop and picked up some maps.  I then set out on the bike to explore. I could not find my way back to the bike shop (I forgot to bring the map with me) but rode around her neighborhood and then found some dirt trails up on a ridge.


I could see the mountains in the distance beyond the ridge; it was a beautiful sight if a bit hazy.



I rode several trails, keeping track of my turns so I could find my way back! I took a break and then my cousin Germaine arrived with her bike in the back of the truck. We loaded up Kathy's bike and drove to another set of trails.


Above is Germaine on the trail.




We stopped a few times for photo opportunities, the last time at a park overlooking the Flatiron Mountains. I could get used to this!


I only rode 13 miles today, but I am satisfied--I wanted to take this day to get acclimated to the altitude! (So far so good--no headache). Germaine and I are riding again tomorrow. Two more cousins are flying in Saturday and we are driving up to Vail. Colorado is my 47th state to bike in, and while I am not going to ride from border to border I expect to rack up several hundred miles here.

No comments: