Monday, September 11, 2023

San Juan Islands: day 2. August 21, 2023

Lopez Island is reported to be the flattest of the San Juan Islands, but it is not very flat! It is also the most rural of this islands, low population and little traffic. 


The first point of interest on this beautiful ride was Shark Reef, where this photo was taken. I am getting to know some of the people on this tour. Jocelyn took my photo. She is riding with her dad, Andy. 


The next stop on today's ride was Agate Beach Park. There was a map posted there and I took a photo of it in case I needed it (and I did!). 



I picked up a couple of very small rocks to bring home. It was a beautiful spot to take a break!




Next stop was lunch, prepared by our guide Charley. It was along the roadside in a delightfully deserted area. 

All of the bikes were equipped with Wahoo Navigators into which each day's route was loaded. After lunch my Wahoo started beeping at me, indicating I took a wrong turn; I turned around and went back and somehow lost the program. At that point there were no other cyclists from our group in sight. I had a lovely ride, and there was indeed very little traffic. I found my way back to the Inn after 41 miles; I only rode 4 extra miles. When I arrived I tried calling Dianne or Charley, who were in the van by that time, to tell them I was back at the inn in case they were out looking for me. There was no cellular service, but we eventually all made it back.

No comments: