Sunday, June 16, 2024

Alaska day 2. June 5, 2024

It started raining during the night, and it's expected to last for days. We went out for a drive, going toward Exit Glacier, but we didn't get out of the car; it was raining in earnest.


We drove back to the B and B, parked the car and walked toward town. We ran into Lucas and Alix on the street. (We had decided not to bother them, but to wait for them to contact us). We all went to lunch, and we now have a timetable for the wedding festivities this coming Monday. That, after all, is why we are here.After lunch Alix and I did a little shopping and then we all walked to the Alaska Sea life Aquarium.




 

                                                              




After we got back to the B and B it stopped raining so we headed back out to Exit Glacier. I was very interested in hiking up to the glacier, which I had seen in 2015. I wanted to see how much it had receded since then. So I hiked up to the overlook. Bill went about halfway up, turned around when the trail got steeper. I was very glad I went up there--I feel as if the glaciers might be gone within my lifetime,

















Exit Glacier was indeed much smaller than it was the last time I was here. It started raining as soon as I got back in the car, and I was ever so glad I got to do this hike. Of course it helps a lot that it is dayllight 22 hours out of 24!






No comments: