Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 27, 2010. Port Orford to Brookings, OR. 60 miles.

The town of Port Orford wanted to make sure no one missed the ocean view from their town! Pat came here yesterday and saw three whales. We did not see them this morning. Apparently they are in a migration pattern this month, and we hope to see some later in the tour.
I have come to the conclusion that there are no flat roads along the coast. We are all beginning to get our legs back, but it has not been easy for those of us from the flat lands. I usually come in around the middle of the pack, and that's OK with me.






W rode along the coast for the first 16 miles, and I could not help myself--I stopped frequently to gape at the views and take photos. At Ophir we turned on to Cedar Valley Road. We were off the coast then, but the views were just as impressive. We passed horse farms and meandering rivers. Again it was not flat; we looked down on valleys and passed around some mountains. We had some construction up in the hills on Cedar Valley Rd. and it was a welcome break for cookies and juice.


When we got to Wedderburn we stopped at the deli the construction guy recommended and got coffee and sandwiches. Just across the bridge from Wedderburn we passed through the town of Gold Beach and then started a huge climb.




After the climb (several miles) we coasted down to a breathtaking view of the ocean--I was talking to myself on the way down about how fantastic it was. I don't have the words to describe it....


We were on highway 101, with the log trucks and RVs the rest of the day.


We had a long construction area on 101, but were able to ride in the new lane while the vehicles were confined to the other lane, so it was OK.


We got to Brookings where we stayed at Harris Beach State Park for the night. This was a spectacular day of riding, exactly what I envisioned when I signed up for this tour.


No comments: