Friday, April 29, 2016

Salt Lake City. April 28, 2016.

It was not raining this morning! And when I looked at the weather map it looked clear for the rest of the week! Yay! When we got to the library it was almost empty, but that didn't last long! Notice the well dressed man and woman on the chairs--there are easily a hundred of them in the library at any one time. There are wandering tech people, instructors and interpretors. Rana has already used them to interpret german and polish records, and I asked questions of a woman who speaks French when I could not read a passage in a record.


Today we went to lunch at Nauvoo Café in the Joseph Smith Memorial building. Rana took a photo of the rest of us: Verna, Louise, Sarah, me, Rhonda and Lucy.


The chandeliers are in the Joseph Smith building. It's pretty opulent.



Above is the exterior of the Joseph Smith Memorial building, and below is a wedding couple at the doors of the Temple. You have to be a Mormon of exceptional standing to even enter the Temple. I took the photo through a fence.


When we got back to the hotel there were 2 police cars, a fire engine, and an ambulance out front. A couple of paramedics were entering the hotel so I asked them if they were going to room 617 (Sherry's room). Unfortunately they were. They brought her out on a stretcher, Sarah rode along, and they took her to the nearest hospital. They are still there four hours later.



Rhonda, Rana and I went to dinner at a small Italian restaurant, and then we all went back to the Tabernacle to sit in on the Thursday evening rehearsal. Jo, Joanne, and I were on the steps--I guess we should have reversed order and put Jo on the top step!


There was quite a line, and the elders moved us all away from the building and took all those with backpacks to a separate area to be screened. They checked our purses as we entered the building.

There was a full orchestra rehearsal first, and then a partial choir rehearsal accompanied by a partial orchestra. It was spectacular! They also have free organ concerts every day at noon. I would love to hear that huge pipe organ and plan to attend at least one concert before I leave here.



No comments: