Wednesday, June 7, 2017

May 26, 2017. En route to Horsey Hundred.

My local biking friends have been asking me for years to go to Georgetown, KY to ride the Horsey Hundred. I always turned them down because my family runs a water stop for the Island Road Runners Memorial Day Race. This year I finally signed up for the Horsey Hundred. Then I went to the IRR Race meeting and found out that the route was changed and we were not hosting a water stop. That worked out well!

We left for Kentucky at 8 AM, Diana and I in her car and Tom and Dennis in Tom's truck. We did not exactly follow each other, but kept in touch so we could meet for lunch at Hofbrauhaus, a brewery in Newport, KY, just across the bridge from Cincinnati, OH.



After we'd ordered but before our food arrived, Mike (a fellow Downriver Cycling Club member) and his wife Sue showed up. Mike is going to ride the Horsey Hundred and Sue, not a cyclist, is going to sight-see and shop while he is on the bike.


After lunch we went for a walk along the waterfront. We crossed the Purple People Bridge to Cincinnati and strolled through the park for about an hour.





We walked back across the bridge and to our cars; it was about an hour's drive from Newport to Georgetown. We checked in for our ride, got our lodging (Diana and I are in a Georgetown College dorm and Tom and Dennis in a nearby motel), and checked out the expo. We walked to downtown Georgetown, looked around the town and then had dinner at a small diner.





No comments: